A steaming cup of coffee is the best thing to kick off the morning activities. A lot of people nowadays will swear to this, and they just love their coffee. Making mornings energetic for more than 500 years, coffee really is a sunshine beverage. However, there are different types of coffee to choose. Are you a fan of cappuccino or you like to have frappe? Perhaps you just prefer to have that electrifying dark espresso. There are all sorts of machines out there that can make your favorite cup of coffee. We have listed some of the best coffee makers in 2018 for you along with an informative buyer’s guide at the bottom.
|Coffee Maker Name||Our Rating||Maximum Cup Capacity
||Time to Brew (minutes)
Cusinart DCC 3200
|4.5/5 Stars||14 Cup||10 Min||View_on_Amazon|
Hamilton Beach 12-Cup
|4.2/5 Stars||12 Cup||9 Min||View on Amazon|
|4.0/5 Stars||8 Cup||7 Min||View on Amazon|
Mr. Coffee 4-Cup
||4.2/5 Stars||4 Cup||5 Min||View on Amazon|
(Best in Single Serve)
|4.3/5 Stars||Single Serve||2 Min||View on Amazon|
|Hamilton Beach 49980A (2-way Coffee Maker)||4.3/5 Stars||1 or 12 Cup||2 Min or 10 Min||View on Amazon|
|BUNN BT Velocity||4.2/5 Stars||4 to 10 Cups||Under 3 Min||View on Amazon|
|KitchenAid Personal Coffee Maker (Ideal for Travelers)||3.7/5 Stars||1 Cup||1 Min||View on Amazon|
|Black & Decker||4.1/5 Stars||5 Cup||4 Min||View on Amazon|
|Mr. Coffee Optimal||4.0/5 Stars||10 Cup||8 Min||View on Amazon|
Best Coffee Makers 2018 – Reviews
There are hundreds of these out there- some are amazing and some of them equally disastrous. However, you need to know the options available out there. Whether you are looking out for a simple espresso machine or you want to buy the best coffee maker for office. You just might want to purchase a pour over coffee maker.
So here we are- we have listed out some of the best options for coffee maker machines for you. Read on and decide for yourself.
Cuisinart Programmable Coffee Maker
The Cuisinart DCC-3200 features a stainless steel body. The carafe can easily hold up to 12-14 cups of coffee and has a nice stainless steel handle. The DSC-3200 performs wonderfully while brewing coffee according to experts and brews coffee between temperatures 190o F to 205o F (ideal temperature according to experts).
The DC-3200 can brew 14 cups, but you can also brew a smaller batch of cups like 1-4 cups. It usually takes the DCC-3200 about 6 minutes to brew 8-10 cups of water- a ridiculously short time really.
The users say that control system of Cuisinart DCC-3200 is extremely user-friendly even for a first time user and its black backlit LCD is quite easy to read and understand. Right from the 24 hours programmable to the brew pause function and the auto shut-off function. Almost every feature is present there.
There are three heat settings- low, medium and high. Now you can enjoy your coffee at your preferred temperature at a later time (up to 4 hours).
The DCC-3200 comes with a fitted in the commercial style gold tone filter. Thus you do not need to change filters. It also contains a charcoal water filter to check the impurities and keep the water softened, thus maintaining the taste of coffee. The best part – this coffee brewer has auto cleaning function- so bye bye manual cleaning!
- Easy to operate.
- Excellent build quality and has a stainless steel body.
- Automatic turn-off, automatic brewing, brew pause, 24-hour programmability feature almost every feature is present.
- Automatic cleaning feature- just press the button, and the machine will clean itself.
- Condensate often gets collected on the inside of the lid.
- There is a loud beep sound when the coffee is ready. However, it can be silenced by pressing the ‘tone’ button on the front of the machine.
Hamilton Beach 12-Cup Coffeemaker
The Hamilton Beach 48464 BrewStation 12 Cup Dispensing Coffeemaker has a stainless steel body with an elegant design. It has a rather large digital LCD with a clock function. There are multiple brewing options like iced coffee, bold or regular so that you can make the coffee of your choice. You can even brew a single cup of coffee with this coffee maker.
This coffee making machine has done away with the glass carafe, thus minimizing the messy spillage, or pouring or breakage.
This coffee maker comes with a detachable water tank which means you can fill the water quite easily. You just have to pull out the tank and fill it.
It does not have a hot plate. So there is no way the coffee would get burnt and as a result, awesome taste and aroma all the time! There is an auto-shutoff feature, so you can use it to keep the coffee hot up to 4 hours.
This coffee making machine is of small size and can fit anywhere. The Hamilton Beach 48464 boasts of the one-hand dispensing system without a regular glass carafe. Thus no breakage or spillage.
- Easy to use.
- A permanent filter that cuts down expenses of changing paper filters.
- No hot plate. Thus no burnt coffee and fresh flavor.
- The gentle heating system ensures that your coffee is kept warm and it tastes as amazing.
- There is no leak, drip or any malfunction.
- Short power cord- Difficult to place the coffee maker.
- Makes loud hissing sound while making coffee.
Bonavita BV1900TS 8-Cup Carafe Coffee Brewer
This coffee brewing machine adopts a minimalistic approach and does away with the flashing backlit buttons, striking LCD, etc. There are even lesser physical controls buttons with an on/off switch is the only control available. So using this approach the Bonavita team have come up with this shiny stainless steel clad no-frills design.
The Bonavita BV1900TS is mighty easy to use, and it also requires very less space. With 11.5 inches height, 10 inches wide and 6.75 inches deep, this coffee maker can find its way inside the most crowded of spaces. There is a large shower head which leads to the maximum coffee saturation.
You can use the pre-infusion mode which will provide more time for the grounds to attain their maximum flavor. The stainless steel carafe eliminates the risk of breakage and can keep the coffee warm up to an hour.
Attaining and maintaining the ideal water temperature is crucial to the coffee brewing process. The entire experience of coffee will get wasted if the water is too cold or hot as it will mess up with the flavor. The powerful and accurate 1500-Watt heater maintains the ideal temperature range [195o F – 205o F].
- Compact design requires very little space.
- SCAA certified and approved- thus no doubts whatsoever as far as performance is concerned.
- Thermal carafe of stainless steel interior- no risks of spillage.
- Automatic pre-infusion option.
- Bloom function is not automatic.
- The power cord is short.
- Inconsistent leakage of water out of some holes of the showerhead.
Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Programmable DRX5
The Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Programmable DRX5 comes with classical functionality that makes the art of coffee brewing really a child’s play. This classic coffee making machine made in the USA can brew up some amazing coffee, in fact up to 4 cups of coffee at a time. There is also a brew pause function that you can use if you want to grab a cup of coffee while the brewing is still going on. You can then replace the glass carafe and let the brewing be finished.
Mr. Coffee is a famous brand, and it has been making some amazing coffee making machines like the DRX5. It comes with an on/off indicator telling you when the machine is on or off, thus eliminating the trouble to check the sockets. The design of the coffee maker lets you stop the coffee brewing process and enjoy a cup of coffee. Just press the ‘pause & serve’ button and enjoy your cup of coffee.
The DRX5 comes with a 24-hour programmability. Thus you can grab a fresh cup of coffee anytime. It will automatically shut down after 60 minutes since you turn it on. Thus there is no need to stand alongside the machine and turn it off manually.
- Small in size but large carafe lets you brew a large amount of coffee (20 oz.).
- On / off indicator shows when the machine is off.
- 60 minutes automatic shut off relieves you from shutting it manually.
- Removable filter basket- much easier to clean and operate when filling in the coffee and other ingredients.
- The digital clock is often not accurate.
- The coffee often tastes like plastic; you can just brew it with water a few times, and the plastic taste will go away.
Keurig K55 Coffee Maker, Black
The Keurig K55 does the job it is created for- making an outstanding cup of coffee. It brews up the coffee real quick and that too in a simple push of the button. It takes less than a minute to make a cup of coffee. And the best part- buying it won’t burn a hole in your pocket.
The Keurig K55 is quite an all-rounder- it can make hot chocolate, iced tea, coffee, tea and even specialty beverages. There are different brewing sizes- 6 ounces, 8 ounces, and 10 ounces. The water reservoir is of large capacity (48 oz.) and removable thus making it easy to fill and clean. The ‘Add Water’ light also indicates when the reservoir needs to be filled up.
The Keurig K55 is extremely user-friendly. Just insert the K-Cup after lifting the lever and after putting the lever down start brewing. There is an automatic switch off function that turns the coffee maker off when unused for a specific period. The drip tray can be easily removed- you can just slide it out to clean it or to accommodate larger cups.
- Can make a variety of different beverages in a small amount of time.
- Large water reservoir that can brew different sized cups of coffee.
- Very easy to handle.
- The programming is simple- indicator lights like ‘add water,’ ‘descale,’ ’power’ and ‘auto off.’
- The K-Cups cannot be swapped with cups of other manufacturers.
- Not available in various colors.
Hamilton Beach 2-Way Coffee Maker
The Hamilton 49980A is packed with the latest technology. This is quite a versatile coffee making system and can prepare tea, hot chocolate, and a few hot drinks. It looks bulky and large but designed in a way that it fits snugly anywhere. This fantastic coffee maker has a plastic and stainless steel armor, and it looks very stylish in the urban kitchen.
The Hamilton 49980A is very easy to use. The opening of the glass carafe is very wide and cleaned quickly. In fact, other parts of this coffee brewing machine can be detached easily and washed. The glass carafe can brew about 12 cups of coffee and also accompanied by a 14 oz.; lid fitted stainless steel travel coffee mug.
There are two brewing functions- single cup or full pot. You can adjust the taste according to your liking as this machine can brew up different flavors like bold or regular. It comes with a timer that can be programmed for an auto shut down [as late as 2 hours] after the brewing is over. You can also pause the brewing and grab a cup from the carafe using the automatic pause and serve feature.
- 2 brewing modes- full 12 cup carafe or a single cup.
- Can set 2-hour automatic shutoff timer.
- Automatic pause and serve. Just pour a cup from the carafe even while coffee is brewing.
- Different brewing strength like bold or regular.
- No hot water dispenser.
- No inbuilt coffee grinder.
BUNN BT Velocity Brew Coffee Brewer
The first aspect that will catch your eye is the impressive design of this automatic coffee brewing machine. This BUNN model has stainless steel and plastic accentuated body that definitely will suit any urban household or office. However, sacrifices all the flashy screens and LEDs and packs rather minimalistic controls – just a power switch at the base of the water tank.
The BUNN BT Velocity Brew comes with a thermal carafe that can keep the coffee warm up to 2 hours. It not only can brew up a coffee real fast (under 3 minutes) but can maintain the same quality for all the 10 cups.
In case you are wondering about the brewing speed and yet the remarkable quality it can maintain, the answer is its unique spray head. Water is showered evenly to ensure maximum extraction of coffee flavor. The water also heated at 200 degrees [ideal for coffee brewing] which ensure consistent quality.
The BUNN BT Velocity comes with a thermal carafe that is found to keep your coffee warm for over 4 hours. It even surpasses the claim of the company (BUNN says that the carafe can keep warm up to 2 hours).
- Brews 4 to 10 cups in about 3 minutes.
- Thermal carafe can keep coffee warm up to 2 hours.
- Improved spray head for better coffee flavor extraction.
- Occasional leakage in the carafe. Can be solved by cleaning the carafe lid, seal and sprout.
- You need to heat the water 15 minutes before the brewing starts.
KitchenAid Personal Coffee Maker
Aesthetics is something the KitchenAid folks are pretty good at doing. It is tall, large and will create an instant impression. However, it looks pretty stylish, and its bright red color complements the modern kitchen.
The KitchenAid Personal Coffee Maker is quite smaller than the other coffee making machines or espresso making machines. The water drips through the ground coffee rather than being forced through a pump. So technically speaking, this is actually a filter machine rather than a coffee maker.
This machine is absolutely easy to use- just fill up the reservoir, put some ground coffee in the filter. Then press the ‘on’ button at the bottom to start the brewing processing. Then it will start to fill the cup or the thermal coffee mug below the nozzle until it is empty or you push ‘off’ button. This machine is programmed to brew while you are fanatically rushing through your tasks in the morning and are late for work.
The KitchenAid KCM0402CU Personal Coffee Maker prepares a jolly good cup of coffee. Having said that the coffee it prepared is supposed to be drunk pretty soon. The machine is very consistent and makes the coffee of roughly the same temperature.
- Convenient to use- single button operation.
- The insulated mug can brew coffee for a single person- makes it a style statement.
- Very modern looking.
- The insulated mug is of primary quality and cannot keep coffee warm for long.
- The Very limited option of coffee making- can make cafeteria style beverage only.
Black & Decker 5-Cup Coffeemaker
This coffee maker has a plastic body but is completely free from BPS. It comes with a durable glass carafe that also comes with marks so that you can measure the water. It can easily clean in the dishwasher- just take off the lid and keep it upside down on the top shelf of the dishwasher. There is a window where you can check out the water level in the reservoir.
It has a non-stick hot plate that will keep the brewed coffee warm even after you turn it off. However it lacks the automatic timer- thus you cannot program the machine to keep your coffee warm. The filter basket of DCM600 can remove, and it needs 1-4 cup basket style filters.
Very few coffee makers have as simple design as the Black & Decker DCM600B. It is extremely easy to operate. Pour the coffee (ground or instant) in the filter basket, add water into the coffee maker reservoir and just press the switch. The machine will start to brew, and in 15 minutes you can have your coffee of approximately 160o Fahrenheit temperature.
The best part of this coffee brewing machine is that its size. It is the perfect size for a coffee maker for office. There is also a lot less wastage of coffee when you are brewing smaller amount of coffee- that means it is more economical. The showerhead has multiple openings, and the water is dripped evenly over the ground coffee- thus leading to the amazing taste.
- Incredibly easy to use.
- Compact design- perfect for the office and small apartments.
- Less wastage of coffee when brewing smaller quantity of coffee- thus more economical.
- The plastic build often leads to a typical taste- it can be eliminated by brewing plain water.
- No automatic coffee grinder, or auto-pause feature, or automatic shutdown timer.
Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew Thermal Coffeemaker System
The Mr. Coffee PSTX91 ticks some of the crucial checkboxes that other thermal coffee makers usually do not. Firstly it does not produce wintry coffee; it produces coffee milder than what the stoves of other coffee makers do. Secondly, there is a detachable water reservoir- thus you can fill up waterway before you start working with the carafe- avoiding cool down. The two crucial positives here are the hotter temperature and the extremely fast brew process- 10 cups for 8 minutes, way faster than other machines.
All these results in the optimal extraction of coffee flavors from the grounds while brewing. Since the water is hotter compared to other coffee makers, the extraction is far greater. When you taste it you will surely appreciate the difference.
The design guys of the Mr. Coffee has worked wonders while trying to make it really user-friendly. Firstly the water tank is detachable- thus you can take the stuff directly to your sink for a fill-up. Also, there is no need to pour water into the top of the machine thus no need for cooling down with regular temperature water. So bye-bye wintry coffee!
Secondly, the great heater means faster brewing process. The heater is not placed under the coffee maker thus a providing a nice carafe platform. The coffee directly brews into the stainless steel thermal carafe [a giant thermos], you can take it anywhere, and the coffee stays hot for hours.
- Stainless steel thermal carafe- keeps coffee hot.
- Maximum retaining of coffee aroma and flavor.
- 2-hour auto shut-off feature.
- Pause ‘N Serve- pour a cup while the coffee is brewing.
- Removable water reservoir.
- The machine needs to be cleaned more often. Clean it after every 5-6 cups.
- Minor leakage issues in the carafe seal, due to the acidic oils of coffee use ‘Dawn’ and it will be fine.
Buyer’s Guide to Select a Coffee Maker
So when you are selecting the right coffee making a machine, then there are certain factors to keep in mind. People have myriads of requirements, so based on the conditions, you make the purchase.
- The size of the machine: Do not go by the pictures of the product and measure the dimensions of the machine. These hi-tech coffee brewing machines can be pretty big. So you better check out in case your kitchen space is limited. However, if you have a really spacious kitchen, then you can buy a machine that is quite a handful and show off your buddies.
- Capacity/cups: It makes no sense buying a huge 12 cup coffee brewing machine if you are the sole coffee drinker in your family. You will need a machine that will produce just one cup which you will enjoy without much trouble. However, if you have more people in your family who drinks coffee, then you can go for a coffee machine with a bigger sized carafe.
- Looks: Appearance does matter- in fact in a big way. It’s your kitchen, so you know best if that black colored machine will suit best or the red one. There are a lot of color options available so there is no reason why you should compromise on the looks.
- The size of Mugs: It is not a big deal that you have to keep refilling your cups. However, some people prefer to have a huge mug for their share of coffee. So before putting in your hard earned cash check before that whale-sized cup can fit in the machine. The manufacturers usually specify the size of mugs the devices can accommodate.
- Ease of cleaning: You may be amazed by all the fancy functions the machine possesses, but if you overlook this, you are in for a hard time. This is the most crucial factor- as you have to clean it often to get the best results out of your coffee making the machine. The key here is to read the reviews of the machine online and also the customer reviews of shopping websites.
- Durability: It is really a bad idea to invest your money for a fancy coffee pot that will not last the time. Generally, the coffee makers are quite sturdy, and you should read the reviews in detail. Also, keep an eye on the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Strength Function: There are coffee machines that will give options to set the strength of the coffee that you want (regular or bold in most cases). Depending on the coffee beans you are using you can boost up the strength People have various preferences, and this option provides great versatility.
Types of Coffee Making Machines:
- Drip coffee making machines: Most of the coffee machines made in the USA are drip coffee machines. They heat the water in the bottom till it falls or sprays in the ground coffee. Inside a basket style container lies the coffee that passes the liquids leaving the grounds behind. The heated water that reaches the grounds transforms into coffee.
- Pour-over coffee machines: These are rather simpler coffee making machines, and the hot water is poured right over the ground coffee to extract the flavor in the cup. The process is rather economical and fast, not mentioning the lack of automation and efficient.
- Single Serve/Pods/ K-Cups: These are two separate types of single serve coffee that leads to confusion. Pods are rather a small round and flat units of coffee inside the filter paper providing less material wastage and greater aroma as well as extraction. The K-cups, on the other hand, are small, ringed; tin foiled cups containing a single serve of coffee. These are very easy to use and offer various blends and flavors.
- Espresso/Pressure: It involved the process where the ground coffee is packed inside a filter and exposed to high water This extracts a shot of extremely strong coffee. There are different espresso drinks like café latte, cappuccino, café breve, café Americano, macchiato, etc. There are different ways of serving espresso coffee also like a double shot, ristretto or single shot, etc.
- Percolator coffee pots: If you like strong coffee then you will like the percolator coffee pots however percolators often produces harsh and bitter coffee. The process involves looping the brewing cycle through the grounds till the desired strength reached. It’s the best option if you have a large group to serve.
Immersion Brewing: This process is about keeping a certain amount of water in contact with the ground coffee for a particular period. In drip method, fresh water is used in every pour however in immersion method the same water remains throughout the brewing time. Various types are there like vacuum pot, cowboy coffee, Turkish coffee,
- French Press: This is famous for its vintage style of operation and flavor & punch the produced coffee packs. There is a glass container with a mesh press separating the water and the ground coffee. Just add a little water to cover the grounds, let it sit for a while, then stir and pour rest of the water. Then press the plunger till the grounds are immersed in water, transfer in a cup after a while, and you got your coffee.
- Siphon/ Vacuum coffee makers: This is the method for you if you want to control over the entire process. It will seem right out of the high school laboratory- containing two glass chambers held together by a siphon tube. It takes place over a burner and siphons water from the lowermost chamber by heating it via the attached burner.
- Cold Brew: This process involves resting the grounds in water at room temperature for 12 hours so that the best natural flavors are extracted. Then the grounds are removed, and the liquid is served as desired. The result is a less acidic and amazingly flavourful cup of coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I need to check out the dimensions of the machine before buying?
Absolutely, no two coffee makers are of the same size and it’s hard to judge the size based on the pictures. If you have small space then ‘KitchenAid KCM0402CU Personal Coffee Maker’ is the right option. Otherwise, you can go for other options like the ‘Hamilton Beach 49980A.’
What is the usual coffee brewing time?
Usually, most of the coffee brewing machines will take approximately 8-9 minutes to brew coffee.
Which coffee brewing machine takes the least amount of time to brew coffee?
No doubt the Bunn BT Velocity. This beast can brew up (20-50 oz.) 4- 10 cup coffee well under 3 minutes.
Can I use instant coffee in a coffee maker?
Of course, you can. However, the process will be a little different. Just heat the water in the coffee brewing machine. After that add the instant coffee. However, the taste will be nowhere as good as the ground coffee?
What sort coffee best used in the French Press coffee makers?
For best results in the French Press coffee makers, coarsely ground coffee works best; it’s better to avoid instant coffee.
What is a K-Cup?
K-cups are products of the Keurig Brewing Systems. These are small, ringed, tin foiled cups containing a single serve of coffee. These are very easy to use and offer various blends and flavors.
Do I have to wait for a till the brewing is over?
Not at all, almost every other coffee brewing machine with automatic function has the brew-pause. You can use this function to pause the brewing and grab a cup of coffee if you hate to wait.
Is there a coffee machine that can brew just a single cup of coffee?
If you are the only coffee drinker in your house, the right choice for you is the KitchenAid KCM0402CU. It was created for one purpose only – to make coffee for one single person. It is more of a personal statement.
Best Coffee Makers: Conclusion
Now that we have told you all about the coffee brewing machines, you are all set to make your purchase. You know all about the drip coffee machines and its types, you know all about the brewing functions and automatic shut-offs. You also know now that same machine cannot make every sort of coffee you need separate machines for that.